The Methodist denominations have had a church at this site beginning with the construction of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1884-1885. Nearby, the Northern Church was also built as a small church up the road near the Erin Cemetery and Jail Hill. The earliest pastor of the church was J.H. Garret in 1879, and other pastors that possibly included some of the colorful frontier circuit riders of American Methodism. After 20 years, the two churches merged, through the marriages of their members. In 1897,, a two story brick Romanesque style church was built with the architectural designs furnished by the Methodist Conference consisting of a traditional steeple, belfry, and stained glass windows.