The Tennessee Century Farms Program honors families who have owned and farmed the same land for at least 100 years, and which produces at least $1000 per year in annual income. There are nine Century Farms located in Houston County. You can click on the farm name for more information.
Bateman Farm (1915): Donald and Jackie Bateman
Bateman Mill – Sullivan Farm: In 1841, John Bateman purchased 1640 acres from a Land Grant, in what was then Stewart County. In the years that followed, the farm was divided up by his descendants,, and currently Ralph and Laura Sullivan own 500 acres of the original purchase. Laura’s ancestors are buried in the cemetery in their front yard.
Beard Triple H Farm: In 1851, Henry Humphrey Haliburton purchased 320 acres. It was later named Beard’s Triple H after the founder of the farm. Today, Terry and Sue Beard own the farm.
Felts Hill Farm: Jimmy and Patricia Felts raise goats on a portion of the original farm begun by Jessie M. Parchman in 1867.
Harvey Farm: Landon Harvey family
Twin Cedars Farm: James and Martha Hinson were the original owners of 150 acres, purchased in 1833. Today, Jane Newman owns 83 acres from the original farm.
Valley View Farms: In 1803, Hugh Dickson purchased 150 acres of a Revolutionary War Land Grant, and later on purchased 243 acres from the same Land Grant. In the past, the farm was a test demonstration home and farm for UT-TVA. Bennetta James and Allen McCampbell own the farm today.
Welker Century Farm: John William Welker purchased 100 acres for $400 and an additional 50 acres for $50 near Ellis Mills in 1851. It is currently a calf-cow operation owned by Otho Welker.
Windy Ridge Farm (1910): Michael Mobley